Sunday 9 April 2017

My home away from home

Entry

Reception

Find my name

My room

The Yukata is made of cotton
and so comfortable to wear, I have even
figured out how to tie the obi (sash) now 

Bathroom, wooden floor with gaps
for water to flow out, sit on a stool to wash 

The toilet slippers

My first breakfast

A family enjoying breakfast

The stone spa

Luxury

My little gift with my key when I returned on Day 2

Toe socks and room shoes

Sleeping on the floor is much easier than I expected,
futon is very comfortable and doona is super light but toasty

Old and new it might be all about tradtions,
but the essential wifi works well 

The ryokan from the corner with
the closest cherry blossoms
at the end of the street

My home in Tokyo is at, Suderoku No Yado Sadachiyo. This type of accommodation is a ryokan, a traditional family inn. Centred in the old part of Tokyo, with tatami mat rooms, yukatas to wear and traditional meals, this is a highlight of my trip. The family and staff are very helpful, most can speak English or are happy to have a conversation with sign language. They make you feel welcome and are patient explaining all the intricacies of Japanese culture as I slowly learn.

There are a whole lot of rituals to follow which I enjoy. Nora the New Yorker is not so sure, she is worried that a ninja is going to jump out of the cupboard and catch her wearing the toilet shoes in the wrong room. The lack of storage space (none) and sitting on the floor is a challenge.

One of the rituals I enjoy the most is the soak in the communal bath at the end of a long day. Another ritual is every night I hear a chant and clapping of sticks as they bless each floor. This is Samurai Tours preferred location in Tokyo and I agree. Sugoi! (amazing).


No comments:

Post a Comment