Friday 6 June 2014

Excess with style

Roosvelt Tram ride with Queensboro bridge

Outside Holly Golighty's flat
from Breakfast at Tiffany's

A room inside the Frick mansion

Now I understand the saying as busy as Grand Central Station

One of the many examples of art adorning
the buildings of the Rockerfeller Centre

Jeff Koons installation in progress at Rockfeller Centre,
this one is Dino and will be covered in flowers in a few weeks time

Me at Top of the Rock with
Empire State Building in background,
I did not want to leave

First order of business is to walk a few blocks down the road, then whip out the metrocard and swipe onto the Roosevelt tram for a journey across the water. We travel high above the water, alongside the Queensboro bridge with sunlit views of Manhattan. A very pleasant experience. Coming back is a different story its peak hour, the carriage is packed and there is barely enough room to breath. Someone I still manage to take photos over the top of some guys shoulder.
Now for a walk through the Upper East side to a very important location on 71st street. The streets are lined with big blocks of flats pouring out people on their way to work. So this is where everyone lives. There is some guy standing on a street corner handing brochures. We have a little chat. He says, “I was born in New York, live in New York I want to represent the people of New York and the odd Australia tourist” I have met my first real live democrat.
Finally I am on the right street and thankfully there are about 10 old brownstone houses in amongst the masses of flats. Yes, it is still here. I have found the outside of Holly Golighty’s flat from Breakfast at Tiffany’s. I wonder if that nice lady wandering along the street will take photos for me. Yes, she will. Success.
Now that was all just a warm up to get to the Frick Museum when it opened at 10am. I like the look of this place from the outside an imposing 5th Avenue mansion built by a family who made their money in steel. There are half a dozen people waiting out the front for the museum to open and a sign that says no children under 10. This feels like an exclusive club compared to all the other museums. The clock chimes 10 and we are in. I wander from room to room in awe of the art Clay Frick collected. A Vermeer here, Rembrandt there, a Renior tucked behind the staircase. Giovanni Bellini’s “The Ecstasy of St. Francis” stops me in my tracks. Then the audio guide tells me that Hans Holbein’s painting of St Thomas More will make you go weak at the knees and it really does. Clay Frick collected pictures that where pleasant to live with I am really glad he made lots of money in steel and then did something amazing with it. Amanda would love this place. With great reluctance I exit though the gift shop and leave.
Onto the subway and down to Grand Central train station. A quick shake shake burger to keep me going and the next tour starts. This is a pretty impressive space stuck in the middle of an amazing city. The guide tells us about all the interesting techniques the builders used to get people to walk faster when exiting by gradually narrowing the corridors or not lingering in a particular place by lowering the roof. But he does go on a lot, so once I learn we are not going to the whispering gallery, I bail out. Now can I find the gallery myself? I ask at the information desk, left, left, down the ramp. Hmm, which left. Then ask at another place. Then see a ramp and think I may as well try this one. Yes, it is it. Other tourists are here doing the same thing, there is noise and people everywhere. However if you stand on one side of the area and whisper into the wall. The person on the other side 20 metres away can hear you. Everyone is in fits of giggles, ok well maybe mainly me.
Now time to walk back up town, via library-massive, HBO shop-essential and New York Yacht Club, where they used to keep the Americas Cup till Australia won it and took it away! Finally I make it to my destination, the Rockerfeller Centre.
There are 19 buildings between 48th and 51st street that make up the Rockerfeller Centre, most built in the 30’s. Starting with the art and architecture tour, Jonathon explains the history behind the Rockerfellers and then takes us around to explore his favourite bits. Art deco is abundant, as well as politics and cooperation between countries. Most of these works are done between the two wars and peace is a strong theme. I can’t begin to explain the number of great ideas and works we see. Most I would not even have noticed if I was walking around by myself. The final part of the tour is in the plaza where the ice rink and famous tree are at Christmas time. What’s that big green thing in the middle, it’s a Jeff Koons installation in progress!
Thanks to Jan for recommending this tour, so worth it.
Now to get in the line and go to the very top of the Rockerfeller Centre, called Top of the Rock. Its quick and easy and I am here, Central Park is laid out in front of me, on the other side all the buildings of Manhattan with Empire State Building dominating the skyline. This is a perfect view. Time for a photo frenzy with all the other tourists. Now I find a ledge and sit in the shade and just soak up the changing light on all the buildings whilst the sun goes in and out behind the clouds. Reluctantly I have to leave my perch and head for home.
Must get sustenance, ready to collapse, not much on 5th avenue except street vendors with big pretzels. I know I will go into the Shops at the Plaza and all is solved. What’s that a shop just for the Plaza, I go in and just can’t resist a little old fashioned book of essays on New York. I go to pay, would you like it gift wrapped Madam. Oh, yes please. Out comes the exquisite Plaza tissue paper, delicate wrapping ensues, followed by a gold embossed sticker. But wait there is more; the lovely guy is doing a total Mr. Bean. Now more tissue paper is waved in the air and folded to line the bag, then the bag is expanded with a flourish to the left and right and all is put together. It was worth buying a $10 book just for the experience of the gift wrapping, I think I will go back tomorrow and do that again.
A magical day finished with a flourish.

6 comments:

  1. Yay, for the Frick collection. Are you bringing back gallery guides?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Mam. The pilot may have to give a bit of extra throttle to get the plane in the air when my bags are loaded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry we didn't get to the Frick....next time!
    The accomplished a lot in the 30's - yes the tour of the Rockefeller Centre was definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting facts and figures on the Roosevelt Tram
    http://www.amny.com/transit/roosevelt-island-tram-facts-and-figures-1.11764786

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TV show with nice little overview of the 3 Vermmers at Frick Collection. Starts at 14mins - http://www.nyc-arts.org/showclips/141438/nyc-arts-full-episode-january-12-2017

    ReplyDelete